Friday, January 25, 2013


Back to our Christmas Festivities. We left Springfield early Thursday morning, after celebrating with the Millers the night before. We hit the road planning to be at my sisters for lunch. Things didn't turn out quite how we expected. On Wednesday evening we notice Cael had a cough, nothing to bad, but enough for me to mention it. He woke up just find but it didn't take long before he was looking like this......


We noticed he was not himself. He just sat there, not saying a word. He didn't want anything for breakfast, we even tried donuts just to see if we could perk him up. Nothing. We got to Cape Gerardo and decided to stop at Chick-Fil-A. Who turns down CFA, especially when there is a play land to enjoy? Still nothing. We decided we would take him to a Prompt Care, we were headed to spend two weeks with little ones and needed to make sure Cael was okay. We went to several places that told us they didn't take our insurance. Sigh. I was a hot mess. We finally realized we needed to head back to Illinois, thankfully that was only about 20 minutes out of our way. 

We ended up in some small town and a public health clinic was the only thing within miles and miles. Not going to lie, I was a little nervous. It wasn't the cleanest, it certainly wasn't up to date, but let me tell you....they took such good care of us. They made several phone calls to make sure insurance would cover the visit, and in the end they even charged us. He had a fever of 106.1 which they weren't worried about that at all. They took a chest Xray and decided that he had bronchitis. We took a breathing treatment was good to go.

They sent us to get a nebulizer and some meds. Again, there was one pharmacy within miles and it wasn't anything like the Walgreens I am use to. But again, they could not have been nicer. They informed me that our insurance wouldn't cover the nebulizer and it would be $150. YIKES. I told them I didn't think we wanted to to do that. Someone came around the corner and said the owner said they could sell it to me for $50 if that was okay.....SOLD! And then I started crying. I was so excited to get to my sisters house, so the disappointment of missing a half day with them, on top of seeing Cael so sick and then all of our insurance issues, I was done. The employees were so incredibly sweet to me. Before long we were back on the road, with a cow nebulizer, how fitting. 
The health clinic that took such good care of us

He was freezing so we carried him around wrapped in a blanket.


Back on the road headed to Memphis. So sad seeing him like this!

 Cael was a complete trooper, I was so proud of him. He sat in that car and didn't complain at all. We made it to Memphis in time for dinner and enjoyed playing with the girls. Cael was still pretty sick but loved watching all the excitement from my lap. And boy did I love all the extra snuggles I got. 


No comments:

Post a Comment